'A quality checklist: Your standards of care' by Prostate Cancer UK
- Published on Tuesday, 30 July 2013 14:44
Men face a postcode lottery when accessing prostate cancer services across the country. This is unacceptable. In March Prostate Cancer UK launched a report which highlights the inequalities that currently exist: Quality care. Everywhere? An audit of prostate cancer services in the UK
To address these inequalities, we've developed a Quality Checklist which outlines the care and support men should expect to receive whether in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland. It is based on research with people affected by prostate cancer and healthcare professionals. Prostate Cancer UK want local NHS bodies to sign up to their Quality Checklist to commit to providing top quality care and support for all men with prostate cancer.
We have also launched the Quality Checklist in 4 pilot areas across the UK.
Throughout Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, we have been asking politicians to encourage local health care providers to adopt the Checklist in their area. On 13 March, 27 campaigners joined us in Westminster to speak to MPs about why good quality care is so important for all men affected by prostate cancer. Over 100 MPs pledged their support for the Checklist. In the Scottish Parliament on 28 March, our campaigners spoke to over 50 MSPs about the importance of universal quality care in Scotland, taking the number of MSP supporters to 86.
Why did Prostate Cancer UK launch this project?
- We want to improve prostate cancer services across the UK.
- We have developed this checklist because of the variations that exist in men's experience of care.
- Because of concern that, in England, NICE's quality standard for prostate cancer has been delayed until the end of 2014.
- In Scotland, Quality Performance Indicators (QPIs) for prostate cancer have been developed, but they are far from comprehensive. We want our checklist to complement the QPIs to fully set out what men want from their care.
- The quality checklist is evidence based, patient focused and patient driven, and describes the care that men with prostate cancer should receive at each step, from the point of diagnosis through to the end of life. It will help to support men by empowering them to seek the best possible information, care and support. It will also provide an opportunity to build a broad coalition across the UK among men with prostate cancer, health professionals, charity partners and politicians that is committed to ensuring that men receive the best possible care
To develop our quality checklist:
- We have talked to men affected by prostate cancer, their partners, friends, relatives and carers to understand what aspects of care matter most to them. Many men told us that they had good experiences of treatment and care, but wanted better information and support. View a report on the survey results
- We have asked those affected by prostate cancer to comment on a set of draft standards developed by the charity. See our survey from last year's Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.
- We have talked to health care professionals to get their views on quality care. Findings from these conversations have been used to develop our final checklist
- We have asked MPs and MSPs to support our standards
Sign up here to receive Prostate Cancer UK's campaigning newsletter so they can keep you up to date with their progress